-
September 13th, 2001, 02:20 AM
#11
Inactive Member
I feel as though I have lost a member of my family. The World Trade Center was so enduring that I thought it would last forever. It seemed a certainty that the Manhattan skyline in 2027 or thereabouts in #43 would show the WTC towers. Now they are not. There has been no bombing like this since the city bombings of World War II. This is only the beginning. I pray that our country still has the determination and fortitude to endure what is to come, that it has shown in the past.
When I saw the crash site in the Pennsylvania farm, I was inevitably reminded of the crash of Flight 495. I had been angered by the numerologist deciphering "495" as "D-I-E". Last night I heard Tom Brokaw saying that people would remember the eleventh day of the ninth month as 911.
Our individual annoyances now seem so petty. In the midst of life we are in death. I pray for the hundreds who died trying to save others.
------------------
Peregrinator in paradiso.
-
September 13th, 2001, 03:01 AM
#12
HB Forum Owner
*adds self to the list*
------------------
May we all remember how small the world really is.
September 11, 2001
-
September 13th, 2001, 03:42 AM
#13
Inactive Member
*add me to the list as well*
-
September 13th, 2001, 04:18 PM
#14
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thrasymachos:
I I pray that our country still has the determination and fortitude to endure what is to come, that it has shown in the past.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We do.
We will.
A short story from the front:
I was a few blocks away from the towers when they were hit Tuesday and hadn't realized until this morning that I hadn't smiled in two days. What brought me to that realization was watching the news this morning and seeing an interview with a firefighter who had been digging through the rubble since tuesday with only one break. After he described the rescue of a woman with only minor injuries last night, he was asked: "what are the next steps?"
Without missing a beat he looked straight into the camera with the most determined expression I've seen and said:
"We rescue everyone else and then rebuild it bigger than it was before."
I felt the unused muscles in my face turning my grimace into a grin even as the tears were welling in my eyes. I am so proud of my fellow New Yorkers, bloodied but unbowed every one of them. 
------------------
A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again. -Alexander Pope
-
September 13th, 2001, 06:28 PM
#15
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Clark:
Subject: what i just wrote is a true story, everyone should read. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
John,
Do I have your permission to reprint this?
------------------
-
September 13th, 2001, 08:05 PM
#16
Inactive Member
John Clark, this story is terrible, but definitly needs to be heard. I'm afraid that it may only be the begining as our "war on terrorism" starts to progress. I wrote a little bit about this in the "Is everyone okay" thread. It's horrible what people are starting to say and do. It's strange because on one hand this tragedy has brought out a lot of goodness in humanity, but then we start to hear stories like these. I would like to think that the american people would learn from the past (particularly what happened to asian americans in WWII), but I'm not sure if they will. And it's true that it's important that people speak up about it. I'm reminded of the quote by Martin Luther King Jr. used in issue21-
"In the end, it's not the words of our enemies we will remember, but the silence of our friends"
------------------
-
September 13th, 2001, 11:16 PM
#17
Inactive Member
We all feel sadness and anger at this. 
------------------
Other site:
http://on.to/empress The Throne room - An Empres site.
-
September 13th, 2001, 11:24 PM
#18
Inactive Member
I copied it from Vox on the Stranger than board. You are very free to use it. Today I had to have a long talk with several people that I work with about the danger of fearing every arbian looking person that they see, but they did not understand. One of them said that they are all evil and can not be trusted. Ironic hearing a southern black woman quoating the KKK. Things are a little diffrent where I am. At Fort Smith Arkansas they arested a man who has been under months of surveilence by the FBI for possible terrorist actions and ties. That is very close to Little Rock, where I live now. Clinton killed many of Bin Laden's suporters and if they want revenge against him personaly as well as us as a nation then Clinton's home town would be a prime target.
As of now we are about to attack Bin Laden and any fool who has helped him.
God have mercy on us all.
Thomas
------------------
"Beware the fury of a patient man"-John Dryden
"What does it profit God to take the young, rending the cloth of his blessing undone?"-Griffin Silver
"Nothing is certain but the unforeseen."-fortune cookie.
-
September 16th, 2001, 11:19 PM
#19
Mousse
Guest
To John Clark,
I've been sitting here for about half an hour, needing to respond to your post and failing to put words together that would actually mean something. I know I can't apologize for someone else's stupidity, even though I wish so desperately I could. I just want you to know I'm praying that you and everyone else who's being falsely accused is able to hold together through all of this.
May God bless you.
------------------
-
September 17th, 2001, 04:16 PM
#20
Inactive Member
I deeply apreciate your concern Mousse. You do not need to apologize for anything that you have not done yourself. Anything that you say from the heart has meaning.
P.S. I got the opinon that you think that I have been the victim of some of the "American terrorisim" going on against arabic people. I havent, but I have had several long conversations with people about their opinions and fears at work. Many people agree with me, some have started looking at their veiws diffrently after I spoke with them, but many are still just as scared and full of hate as they were on 9/11. It is just going to take time. Acording to the FBI this morning there has been at least two murders by terrorists. People who believed themselves patriots killing the enemy (innocents who happen to have ancestory from the middle east.) The news called them "vigilantes." No one considers people in their own country terrorists, and I am not sure the media shares my veiws right now.
------------------
"Beware the fury of a patient man"-John Dryden
"What does it profit God to take the young, rending the cloth of his blessing undone?"-Griffin Silver
"Nothing is certain but the unforeseen."-fortune cookie.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks